Thursday, 6 October 2011

Bradford’s military hospitals - overview

It is well known that Bradford had its own base War Hospital but this does not paint the whole picture as there were many more auxiliary hospitals that also treated wounded soldiers. It is difficult to provide total figures for the number of soldiers treated in Bradford as some were transferred from Hospitals in Leeds to a variety of auxiliary hospitals before the first Red Cross Trains brought wounded soldiers straight from France to the Bradford War Hospital in November 1915. 

Several blogs in coming weeks and months will provide information about the various military hospitals however here is an overview of the different hospitals that treated wounded soldiers first the three main hospitals that could take patients straight from disembarkation and then the auxiliary hospitals. 

Bradford War Hospital, St Luke’s Hospital run by Bradford Board of Guardians
Abram Peel Hospital, Leeds Road Hospital run by Bradford Corporation
Bradford Military Hospital, this was either at Bradford Moor Barracks or at Belle Vue Barracks

Bowling Park Auxiliary Hospital, Bradford Board of Guardians home for male imbeciles
Clayton Auxiliary Hospital, North Bierley Union Infirmary
Field House Auxiliary Hospital, Bradford Royal Infirmary’s convalescent home
Guiseley Auxiliary Hospital, not sure which hospital/private home this was
Royal Ear and Eye Hospital, Bradford a voluntary subscription hospital
Salt's Auxiliary Hospital, Saltaire Sir Titus Salt Hospital, charitable hospital
Woodlands Auxiliary Hospital, Rawdon, Bradford Royal Infirmary’s convalescent home

If you have any information on the location of the Bradford Military Hospital or the Guiseley Auxiliary Hospital please get in touch so that a more complete picture can be painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment